Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma: My approach to a fine line

I am a seasoned veteran of "education" and I have been stop lossed into college. This is not "education"; it is "higher education". I fully intend to have no intentions (and thus no worry) about the future because I just don't know what I want to do. Mostly, what I do know is that I want to sleep. I also want to write. I do both, but neither is done to the point of satisfaction.

I am refocusing on the Christian aspect of my life and making it more of... my entire life. Or at least I am trying to. There is this fine line between being judgemental and being good. And goodness, is it hard to be good. Especially here. I am a Christian. A leader, a follower. I am trying to not be a Pharisee, but still adhere to morality. Which is difficult. Especially here. And sometimes, Christianity, its moral values, and the way I express them all offend certain people. They hate me. They hate what I stand for. They cannot explain why they hate it so; it is without any reasonable explanation.

Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."
He also said "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.'"

I have come up against some who dislike my values and are even aggressively opposed to them. Paul says in his letter to the church in Corinth "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?"
What I represent as a Christian literally is like the smell of decaying flesh. That disgust that would come from smelling such an odor is the response that my Christianity causes in some of those who are lost.

A wise woman once asked the question, "How can you claim to hate some one you do not even know?" It has caused me to re-evaluate my stance on aggressively trying to be like Christ. Without the light of Christians, many will never know the love of God. Now if I lose friends or gain enemies, in the name of Jesus, is that a bad thing? No. It is rewarded in heaven when we are hated and persecuted and judged for our love of our savior.

Even as I write this, I realize that some, perhaps more than just a few, will be offended by it. The thing is, it is not necessarily just unsaved who will be offended, but other Christians who are not living out the cause in their own lives will see this and be convicted.
They will think to themselves, "He is just a kid."
Well, "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, in purity."
Others might think, "He is not perfect. Who is he to tell me how to live my life?"
I would never assume to give you directions on how to live your life that came from just me.
I try to reflect the teachings of the Bible. I write this out of love and conviction not a sense of proud religiosity.

The point of Christianity and Christ's loving sacrifice is that we are justified in all we do. We ought to not ever abuse this, but we cannot attain righteous perfection while we live, and if we could be saved through our deeds and not our faith, Christ would have died in vain. So let us love one another, and strive to be on fire, not luke warm so that we will be useful for the Kingdom of God.

Maranatha,
Denis Everett

1 comment:

  1. amen.
    if we all could maintain the focus you're striving for, the world would light up.
    thank you.
    and concerning the whole "don't know what I want to do" thing, that's so okay. having the ability to write something like this at 17 is incredible. you just have to be discovered ;]

    ReplyDelete